Thursday, May 11, 2017

sock progress

So I've been terrible both with the knitting and the blog updating, but I have a few minutes while the kids are occupied with homework I can't help with (Spanish--You can only get so far with the phrases I know--mostly to a bar and to the bathroom. ¡Muy bien!).

I also say terrible with the knitting because I was sick for most of April. For some reason, all I wanted to do was sleep and read. So while all the forced time not working (I lost my voice and couldn't do the freelance job I have where I corral kids when their regular cowboy is at a meeting), I mostly read instead of knit. In fact I went through a ton of books, but didn't do a lot of knitting.

Anyway, last I updated, I was closing in on the heel. And I did the heel! and I did it WRONG! No pictures of that because GAH.

What I did was kind of stupid. First of all I made it too narrow because I forget I need to leave 12 stitches instead of 10 between my short row thingies. And if that wasn't bad enough, I actually didn't center it. You see, I hate starting a new DPN on a purl stitch. It always is a little loose and feels sloppy to me, so when I was doing the top of the foot, I moved three stitches over from the insole. and Stupidly, I forgot to move them back and include them in the heel. So, I ripped and started again.

Of course this isn't a written pattern--This is just me finding a stitch I like in a stitch dictionary and going with it--so I wasn't really sure what to do about re-starting the pattern for up the leg. I think I gave it too much plain stitch, but I'm guessing it won't be that noticeable.

Sock progress

A post shared by Jodie (@ja_gardner) on

I probably have a problem with the stitch dictionaries. I own a BUNCH. The first two Barbra Walker treasuries, plus a vogue knitting dictionary, plus two Niki Epstein edgings books and "Up down all around Stitch dictionary" Which is where I found this one. It's called Eyelet crescents and is worked over a ten stitch repeat. I like how it looks cablish without having to cable. Plus it is easy to memorize (and if I forget I have a picture on my phone).

I don't have a new picture, but I am about halfway up the leg and probably need to start thinking about what sort of ribbing to use for the last inch or so. I guess time to dig out the dictionaries again!

No comments: