Monday, October 22, 2018

costumes

I have on my to do list to blog and I really really really want to get a good chunk of my list done this week. But I don't really have any updated pictures. All I have are old pictures--and a whole lot of anxiety.

Ok, so my daughters declined Halloween costumes this year (well at this point I hope they aren't going to spring something on me last minute) but a new job in the children's department of the library means that even though I didn't have my schedule for Halloween until recently, I am hard at work making myself two costumes. Well one and a half.

I decided at first that I would be Olivia the Pig. and then I learned a co-worker had done that last year and may do that again. So I decided to be Ms. Frizzle from the magic school bus. So I bought some planet fabric and a dress pattern.

View this post on Instagram

Started my Halloween costume. Any guesses?

A post shared by Jodie (@ja_gardner) on

And thus begins the anxiety portion of our adventure. I have measured myself and have made the size the pattern says to make--which happens to be the largest size the pattern makes. Yes, a commercial pattern. And the waist/hips section are really close to my measurements. I've had to let go of the number attached to this size as it is larger than anything I've ever purchased. I have finished everything on the dress except the zipper. I figured that if it didn't fit, I would add some fabric there. Well, I tried it on last night and I think that it will fit. So also on the to do list: sew in the zipper.

The second costume is for the library's Harry Potter week. I'm recycling a Harry Potter robe made for a certain fourth grader and wearing black slacks, and a gray v neck sweater. I've made a dicky (love that 1960s word) out of a shirt I picked up at a thrift shop and now all I need is a tie. I was feeling like I should make or buy a few different colors and wear this all week, but the robe says Gryffendor so maybe once is enough? And really, I am thinking I may need to make the tie.

I'm hoping that I'll have some pictures next time. I'm also working on a sock that I'm sort of half thrilled with. And one child is telling me she wants a red cardigan, so I know more knitting is coming soon.

No comments: