Thursday, February 14, 2019

finished socks

Every week I put "Blog" on the weekly to do list and every week it seems I fail. I looked back though and since January 23, my weeks have been filled with snow days. So not really having a lot of time to think about what I have been knitting. I can't even really articulate why it is so hard to concentrate when the kids are home. Maybe because usually that means we are all home, as my husband also works in an educational setting that has weather delays and cancellations. Anyway, we usually have an average of 4 snow days all winter and this year we've had 12.

I do have some socks to show! I finished the black socks that I started way back in September.

I had a hard time being motivated to finish these because black yarn on black needles is really hard to see in anything but bright sunlight.

I also struggled with the yarn. You see I found a knot, which yeah whatever. The problem is that this knot was very much like a similar knot I found in another sock yarn in that it TOTALLY threw off the pattern of the self stripes.

You can see it above in the leg of these socks. In that instance there were actually two knots, and I didn't realize the patterning was off until much later. This time, I saw it within a half inch of the knot. and I thought to myself, I can fix this!

My plan was to just pull the yarn out until I was back on track color pattern wise. Which would have worked.... except that the knot seems to be where the yarn then reverses the color pattern. I could find the stripes, they were just backwards.

Here's where I confess it took me way longer than it should have to figure the solution. I unwound the entire rest of the skein (Which let me check for additional knots), and then used my ball winder to wind it backwards. THEN I found where the pattern picked up.

Doing this sock made me feel like maybe I didn't like knitting as much as I used to, as I really didn't like picking it up. But All the troubles combined with the dark colors in this dark season must have been in, because less than a week ago, I cast on a sock with some yarn I got for Christmas and it is so much more fun to knit again.

View this post on Instagram

Wonder Woman socks!

A post shared by Jodie (@ja_gardner) on

No comments: