Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I'm shrugging about this....

So, the shrug. I finished it. I had to russian join on the buttonhole band to get it to cast off. And I could not pick up the 83 stitched I had on the left front. I got as for as 60 and was out of room.

And my friends there is a good reason for this, because of course the shrug that I have had to repeatedly rip and reknit has not gone gentle into the night. Oh not, it has a major flaw. One that if I want to really fix, will require a HUGE chunk of ripping. And frankly, given that I think I might have 10 yards of yarn left may not be even feasible.

Anyway, when I wear it open it looks like this:

shrug

Looks good doesn't it. And that is the dress I bought it for and as you can see the purples, while not totally true in the picture, do actually match! And it looks really good until....

You think about buttoning it. And that's when you'll realize that somehow someway I managed to knit one side almost two inches longer than the other.
TWO INCHES!!

shrug problem

I think the two inches is in the sleeve cap. I have no idea what to do with it. And at this point, it might be easier to walk lopsided. Although truthfully it doesn't show if it is unbuttoned, but it doesn't hang quite right.

There is a reason that I called this blog Disasters with yarn......

3 comments:

Trisha said...

Oh no! That is too bad. But when you don't button it, it looks great! So I say leave it open and no one will know! It looks great with the dress too.

Anonymous said...

You know, when you wear it open I cannot tell there is anything wrong with it. I love little open shrugs like that, and it looks great with the dress! Fear not... nobody will see it when you fly by on your horse! :D

KarenD said...

Oh my ... I never would have guessed from the first picture! I am all about "finished is better than perfect" lately, so I'd leave be.