Sunday, December 03, 2017

TWO finished objects

I have not one but TWO finished objects to show off today.

First, i finished my kerchief. Officially Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief knit in Noro silk garden sock on size something needles. I'm officially terrible at remembering these things or writing these things down. 8 or 9 I'm sure. I STILL haven't blocked it, but I've worn it!

Selfie with a finished object #knitters #finishedobject

A post shared by Jodie (@ja_gardner) on

Then I had a Thanksgiving trip planned and nothing to knit. I asked my kids and my facebook friends and got well.... Let's just say that I got a lot of great ideas but nothing sparked my attention. Then finally I had one girl say, "you promised to make me a cute photogenic cabled hat with a furry pom on the top." And while I don't remember promising this particular thing, I did have yarn to pull it off. And also time, as ten hours (round trip) of car knitting gets at least a good start on things.

She picked Sultana Cabled hat and I picked some yarn I had leftover: Loops and Threads Impeccable. This is an acrylic yarn, but it isn't squeaky. I have to say that usually when I plan car knitting, I am usually very good about a) reading the pattern over and bringing everything I'll need to finish the project even if that is seemingly impossible and b) bringing a backup project. I did neither. Heck, I didn't even bring page 2 of the pattern! I didn't bring DPN for finishing and I didn't read close enough to realize I'd need 2 cable needles! I'm honestly surprised that I remembered to bring the needle change I needed. In fact, I brought both of my interchangeable sets quite by accident.

Even with all that, I ended up having a second cable needle stashed in my bag, and I improvised DPN using interchangeable needles. I was able to pull up the second page of the pattern on my phone even. I did jinx myself by saying to my husband as we were within an hour of home--Wow this has gone so smoothly even with all the weirdness. Instantly a demon from another dimension snatched my cable needle. (actually it slipped right out of my knitting and fell so deeply between the car seats that I didn't find it until I had a sunny day that I could pull the car out and pull the front seat all the way up. My car had a very thorough cleaning.) Then I lost track of what row I was on and could not for the life of me figure it out. In fact the only thing that stopped me from finishing this hat in the car was that mistake. I put it down for 5 days even! Until Friday I was stuck in the waiting room at the car dealership. I pulled it out, and went over it backing up (tinking) until I figured out that I had actually conflated two rows and was finally able to find where I was. A very nosy lady in the waiting room eventually asked me what I was making and I told her and told her I'd spent the first 20 minutes undoing a mistake and she blithely informed me she would never have ripped just to find a mistake. (Insert Eyeroll here). And you know usually, I am pretty tolerant of my mistakes. This however, would have thrown off the last cable pretty significantly. I did finish it Friday night though. And the girl is happy. I need to buy a fur pom ("You know you can make that." said my nosy fellow car dealership waiting room lady. Indeed I do--she asked for something specific, which I will buy). I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Now, I guess I need to make the other child a hat they can look cute in for pictures.

No comments: