Thursday, March 22, 2018

The ultimate "cast on"

So much has happened since I last wrote! Seriously, I figured out a way to get socks from needles to feet twice as fast!

Ok, I did this by getting one foot put in a cast and thus unable to wear a normal sock, but still--bright side people! I can wear the same sock twice as long! (Ok no, it is really that I can't stand to just have one of every sock int he washer, so I'm wearing one the first day and the second the next.)

The whole story is this. I've been battling plantar fasciitis for YEARS. I wear night splints, orthotics, and I have an ice bottle that I use on bad days. I've even gotten cortizone shots for it. All of this has helped, and after the last shots I had some relief. Well about six weeks ago, I had a really bad flare up. Despite not changing anything. At first I thought it was because I needed new shoes. So I bought some, only to have the pain worsen. It was bad enough I called the doctor who had previously done the shots. While I was waiting for that appointment, I had a few times when after work, I was so sore, I wasn't sure I was going to make it back to my car.

When my appointment came around, I was kind of excited to think that if I got another shot I would be sore that day but I'd feel so much better. So you can kind of imagine the look on my face when instead of shots, he said--I'd like to put your leg in a cast for 3weeks to see if we can get the inflammation down that way.

After blinking like Dora the Explorer waiting for you to repeat whatever she just asked you to repeat, I asked when would they do that. Well turns out right NOW was the answer.

It is my left foot so I can drive. I can walk on the cast and I have a boot for it (which was good because we got 2 inches of snow that mostly fell while I was getting the cast). I also have a scooter that I can rest my cast on and scoot. Let me tell you, that was more difficult than I thought it should be. Turns out that you can rent them! And your insurance might even pay for it--although the foot doctor was dubious but the medical supply place says--blue cross? sure (we shall see, but I don't even care). I know it is a place of privilege that allows me not to worry about $50, but it makes work so much easier.

Bonus: My cast matches one of my favorite handknit sweaters

When your knitwear *almost* matches your cast.

A post shared by Jodie (@ja_gardner) on

I have also been told to stay off my feet, and so I've been doing a little more reading, and little more knitting. And thus have nearly finished the second of the rainbow socks.

Ready to #bindoff

A post shared by Jodie (@ja_gardner) on

I'd probably have finished except that I need to look up the bindoff, and I never seem to have both a computer and my knitting by my chair. Probably after I finish this sock, I'll start another sock for traveling and baseball and waiting rooms, and something else for all the other times. Except I'm not sure about the something else. And yes, I have already looked and Ravelry does have a pattern for a toe sock you can knit for over your cast. Am seriously considering.

No comments: