Wednesday, November 28, 2018

finding time

If you are a knitter (or crocheter, cross stitcher, quilter, etc. ) you often hear from people--Oh I never would have time to do that. Actually I hear this about my reading habits too. Sometimes, people say this to emphasize a culture of busy-ness. Like their jobs are so all consuming that that they have no free time.
And my response is always--we make time to do the things we love.
And it is true. I don't love watching tv or movies or playing board games. Some people do and they watch more TV or movies than I do and sometimes I catch myself thinking--How do these people have time for that? Well they don't try to keep themselves in handknits or read 125 books a year.

That said, this fall has been really busy for me. My hours increased at work and I found that I really had to make time for knitting if I wanted to get it done. (Although my reading has stayed the same so maybe I just love reading more?). Because of that, I am ALMOST finished with a sock I started way back three months ago.

Maybe I would have made more time for this pair if it wasn't such a dark yarn. It makes my eyes tired after a long day to sit down and try to knit these. I have to give them up much earlier on car trips and sometimes I think I just don't think it's worth it.

Well, the dark dreary days of November must be getting to me in other ways too. A friend of mine and I went to a football playoff game that our teenagers were doing a halftime show for (we lost) and along the way we stopped at two yarn stores. I bought a skein of yarn at each and got them home and realized I had purchased skeins that were RIOTS of color.

You might have to click through to see the second one. The first is a sport weight and the second is a sock yarn.

Because I am finding SOOOOO much time to knit these days, I decided to start a second project. I figure the Malabrigo Rios will make an excellent Honey cowl. And given the first draft (not pictured anywhere because DUH) looked really good but fit me more like a turtleneck, I ripped it out and started over bigger. And kept twisting when I would join. Also the bigger size felt way too long. So now I have settled on an in between size not listed in the pattern (should work though). I'm pretty sure I haven't twisted this time. fingers crossed.

Hopefully the bright colors will encourage me to find more time to knit.

No comments: