Monday, September 08, 2008

the next projects

So kindergarten is now in full swing, but the socks aren't done (yet). I only have about half a sock more to do and then, new socks for school! My knitting prowess and speed (ha) have evidently made a big impression on one of my daughters, who offered to one of her new friends that mom could make her a backpack. The backpack in question is Ayla from knitty. I made one for each of the girls a while ago in fact one of them hung in the yarn store I used to work in as a sample. I don't have a good picture of that one, but the one that started it all was this one:
purple ayla
Turns out the friend wants pink and green or something. Hope the friend isn't actually expecting the backpack.

You know how I said I wasn't knitting anything else for anyone--especially not as a Christmas present? Well, I should just stop saying things like that. I've agreed to knit one of my non-knitting friends a shrug for her mom for christmas Guess which one. You can laugh right along with me. I'm doing the lace first this time though--get through it.

I probably shouldn't, given my track record with big pronouncements, announce that now that my children (the ladies) are in school I have tons of free time. Actually I don't, but I am finding myself with the odd hour or two where the house is quiet and I do not feel like collapsing in a giant puddle. This will probably change just as soon as I say that or as soon as I tell you that I have fun and exciting things planned with that time.
First you must know that as of today there are only 53 days left before Halloween. And Halloween means.... candy and sewing! And yes, I am a nutcase, but I've already made my children decide on their costumes.
costumes

Since their tastes are running toward frilly dresses and gowns, I'd best get cracking.

But really, the reason I'm excited about quiet non sleepy time is:
lace
That's some hand dyed by me Knit picks Bare, lace weight. I'm hoping it is a good substitute for Alpaca Cloud. I'm also hoping it doesn't look too clown-like since it is one of my first dyed efforts and I went a bit crazy on the colors. I did think that this lace project would be fairly easy so I could theoretically do this during my less than awake times and would be good to do in the odd hour or two I have. That is when I'm not making costumes.

You can tell I'm not little miss suzy homemaker, because I never once thought to myself--Ahh now I will have time to clean my house!

1 comment:

Cinnamonamon said...

Ha! We started discussing this year's Halloween costumes last Halloween...we were Mario Bros. characters last year - this year we're Wizard of Oz characters... ;)