Wednesday, September 14, 2011

yarn

Whenever I try to talk to my husband about knitting, say try to get an opinion out of him he says to me "yarn yarn yarn yarn yarn". (Imagine that done in a Charlie Brown adult voice). But in all honesty most of what makes knitting fun and fabulous or disappointing is yarn. When I first started knitting, I was like a lot of people and entranced by yarn. Sadly for me, a lot of that yarn was yarn I would not use now. Then, I was attracted to Fun! Interesting! fibers. Now, I want simpler yarn.

I say this all because it goes a long way in explaining why I thought it would be a good idea to buy enough yarn to make a vest in Moda Dea Dream. In green no less! Can you imagine, I'd have looked a bit like Oscar the grouch. It explains why I have a poncho made of homespun. It feels like a big blanket and is comfy but oh my goodness I hope to never have to knit with homespun ever again, it is so squeaky.

I made a pair of socks out of tofutsies and they got multiple holes in it and I decided that perhaps soy yarn isn't great for socks.

It also explains one of the oldest skeins in my stash. I knew that it was banana silk, but it took a search in ravlery to determine it was Frabjous fibers banana silk. Multicolored of course. I just have one skein. I have no idea what I thought I would make with it. I just look at it and know that I bought it because it was shiny and silky and made of bananas! I dug it out the other day intending to make a scarf from it. I tried a drop stitch pattern and was unsatisfied and ripped it out. Then I started a narrower garter stitch scarf, and a movie at the same time. So now I have an almost 4 foot long garter stitch scarf in banana silk... and I hate it.

While I was trying to decide what to do--rip it out and make something narrower, rip it out and do nothing, rip it out and try a new pattern--I started Estelle in a yarn that is more me these days: Quince and company Lark.(in purple)

Of course any and all suggestions about the banana silk are welcomed.

yarn yarn yarn yarn.....

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Donate it to a local homeless or domestic violence shelter.

Somewhere out there, there is someone who has no scarf at all! This scarf can be for them.

Daisy said...

I made so many weird and questionable yarn purchases when I first learned how to crochet. By the time I learned to knit five years later I'd come to my senses. When I moved last year, we had a yard sale first, and I sold a bunch of yarn I was never going to use. There was some crazy stuff in there, like a skein of Bernat Disco in sort of glittery turd brown color ( http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/bernat-disco - looks like maybe Bernat has come to their senses too, since it's listed as discontinued). What did I think I was going to do with that?